I Gained Strength from My Relationship with God

 
Strength, God, Relationship, Prayer, Life, Worship, Patience, Tolerance
A relationship with God is the best relationship you can have! ~ Anonymous

Growing up I had an on and off again relationship with God. What I mean by this is that I was not consistent with seeking him daily or building a relationship. It was a quick prayer here and there but I never actually sat down and spent meaningful time with him.

I was raised in church my entire life so I grew up knowing God and attended church regularly. Somewhere down the line as I grew into my young adulthood and started “living my life” per se’ I became distant with our relationship.

Sure, I would run to God in times of trouble. Pleading with him if he make this or that happen or take away some type of pain I might have been dealing with, I would do better at forming a closer relationship with him. However, once my request would become fulfilled, I was back to my same behavior. Aren’t we all guilty of this sometime or another in our lifetime?

God never left me, but I ventured off from him through the years. I still attended church but my mind was not totally focused on hearing the pastor’s sermon. I was there in the flesh but not in the spirit.

Have you ever felt this way or have you been in this position before?

Because I was never there in the spirit, I never felt totally fulfilled. It was a longing I desired but was not in the mind frame of setting some time apart to do the work required to fulfill this particular void in my life.

Then it hit me and it clicked, Daria, you have to do better! God is here for you, BUT where are you?

It was not until several years ago when I went through my traumatic experience with stalking that I started to regularly lean on God and form a closer relationship with him. Looking back on that experience, I now know that I would have never made it without him.

Sometimes it takes experiences like these to make us run to God. He knows how to get our attention. For some of us, the experiences are much more drastic and for others the experiences are less drastic. One thing I have learned in my lifetime is that God is always there for us and will never leave nor forsake us. The key to this is we must seek out God and build that relationship with him. He is waiting for us to do our part and he will then do his part.

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6
 
By building my relationship and relying on God I am able to get through other traumatic experiences that I have and will encounter. The difference between now and then is that I have the armor of God at my side. Well let me retract that statement, God was, has and will always be my side. The best way I can explain this is that because I have grown closer and have reconnected with him I rely more on him to get me through. The strength that I have now versus then is how I am able to conquer it all.

I have learned that we will always go through things in life. It has never been promised to us that we would not. However, what is clearer to me now is that God provides us with the necessary tools (Bible) to get us through. Because I was willing to put in the work, I became confident in God’s strength that I could overcome any obstacle.

I can now say that a void has been filled in my life. I seek God now more than I ever have. All of this has happened because I took the initial step to lean closer to God and form a closer relationship with him. It feels very rewarding to know that through God’s grace and mercy I obtained strength and endurance. Now some other areas in my life need more work and that is patience and tolerance. Whew, I swear these two are the hardest to conquer. I am definitely a work in progress. But, aren’t we all?

If you are at a crossroad in your life and need direction, strength, endurance, patience, and tolerance I encourage you to seek God. He will not disappoint you. And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 2 Corinthians 9:8

Let’s Chat:

Are you yearning for a closer relationship with God?

Are you willing to put in the work to form your relationship?


Comments