You Can Still Have Peace Despite the Chaos


Peace, Community, Unity, Meditation, Pray, Emotions, Police Officers, Social Media


Even in the midst of life’s many storms we have the capacity to stand in the center of our own peace. ~ Anonymous.

With everything that has happened in my personal life and with the news from the killings of Alton Sterling, Philando Castile, the Dallas police officers, the attack on France and now in the senseless ambush on the Baton Rouge Police Officers, I find myself with no peace. 

Do you feel drained? 

Are you suffering from social media fatigue?

Overwhelmed by the chaos going on? 

Every time you turn on the news there is a mass shooting, another unarmed man is killed by police or police are the targets. It seems never ending and completely overwhelming. I’m more than sure others in our world are feeling the same way.

Whether you have been tuning in to what has been happening around the world or if you have you own personal drama going on, life occurrences affects us tremendously. It affects us differently. We all have our own way of how we deal with things that happen.

Despite how we might handle things differently, one thing I know for sure is we still need to maintain balance. You might say, “It’s hard to focus” while I agree with you please know balance is important. In experiencing the things of the world or our own dilemmas in life it’s important that we understand, we cannot conquer it all.

Emotions are deep. Knowing how to handle what emotions we are experiencing in life is a process. From hurt, shame, anger, pain, among other emotions knowing how to channel these feelings is what allows us to experience peace. Learning how to deal with our emotions in a healthy way, quiets the anxiety that stirs within us.

At times, I experience anxiety about different things that occur in my life. It is then I know that I have allowed the ways of the world to take away my peace. When this happens I begin to feel disconnected. It is not a wonderful feeling.

In being led astray and allowing the world to distract me from the peace I have fought so hard for I had to realize working for peace is an ongoing battle. There are all sorts of things and people that can steal your peace of mind if you allow it.

If you are where I am and value your peace of mind here are a few things that have proven to be effective for me. Maybe a few of these techniques can help you have peace regardless of the chaos around you:

·         Be still and pray – Find a quiet place and sit still for a moment. Just taking that small window of opportunity allows you to regain your composure. Sometimes just stopping, inhaling and exhaling accompanied with a short prayer can mean all the difference in the world.

·         Take a walk – Setting out on a journey by yourself to gather your thoughts can be refreshing. If you find an area that has a nice scenery along the way that is all the better. It allows you to appreciate life. It is the best thing to find peace amidst the storm. It can be done.

·         Meditation – Taking 15 to 30 minutes out of your day to either meditate on your own or attend a meditation group helps. I have meditated myself and have attended a meditation group and I have found both to be beneficial.    

Finding what works for you is a process. While I have tried various methods throughout the years the ones listed have been the most beneficial to me. Hopefully, by sharing the techniques that helps me find peace despite the chaos you will be able to find what works for you. Either it will restore you to your peace or bring you to peace you are searching to acquire in your life. I encourage you to pray for this city, this country and the world we live in.

Let’s chat:


What do you do to keep peace in your life? 


Comments