Unity in the Community~Louisiana Historic Flood 2016


unity, community, flood, devastation

Unity is strength…when there is teamwork and collaboration, wonderful things can be achieved.” Mattie J.T. Stepanek

Words cannot express the shock, hurt, disbelief nor the pain I feel for families that were affected in Baton Rouge and the surrounding parishes here in Louisiana last week. It has been a week since the flooding occurred and I still cannot gather my thoughts around everything that has happened. And, I know if I was not affected and feel this way, I cannot imagine the families that were affected thoughts and feelings. There are so many mixed emotions out there that it is heartbreaking.

This flooding devastation left many families with nothing. The loss of cherished memories, homes, and cars, among other valued treasures are gone.  I was speaking to one of my Avon representatives and she stated she has four children. Her oldest is 27  and I don’t recall the youngest age but I know she’s in middle school. She went on to say that she was somewhat over the loss of the contents but what she could not come to terms with was losing all of her children’s baby pictures, awards, trophies, things that she has kept since her children were babies. I felt so helpless sitting on the phone with her. I just sat on the phone listening and praying for her.

Different one’s that I speak with stories are the same. Others are different. As my district manager with Avon stated, “Our stories may be exactly the same, somewhat alike or totally different, one thing is true...we need each other!”

I could not have said this any better. I’m proud to say that since this devastation hit last week, everyone for the most part has joined together to assist ones that were affected. I’m proud to be from Louisiana. Our community has stepped up to serve others. People from around the world are sending love, hugs, kisses, well wishes, food, money and whatever other resources that is out there to help families return to some type of normalcy.

Although, most families are far from any type of normalcy what has made the process a little easier is the out-pour of love that has been shown. It all boils down to having unity in our community. And, I am happy to say that our community here in Baton Rouge and the surrounding parishes have definitely shown unity throughout this process.

There are several organizations that are asking for donations to assist these families. No donation is too small. If you haven’t already and you can find it in your heart to be a blessing please contact the Red Cross. Here’s the link, Red Cross. Click on the Donate Now tab and click on Louisiana Floods. If you prefer to be a blessing another way, please do so.

One last quote from my district manager, “We must believe our latter will be much greater than our former!”

One last request. Please remember only one week has past. Let’s not forget our friends, family, and neighbors in the days, weeks and months to come. If there is anything you can continue to do to show love and support throughout their time of need, no matter how big or small, please continue to do so. Also, be mindful of grieving process and their loss treasure items.


Below are some pictures that I was able to capture of this devastation. Please, know that these pictures do not even hit the surface of what has occurred. Even though I am a blogger, blogger mode was not on. I was too shocked and speechless and taking pictures was no where on my mind.


My little cousin and godson
Plank Road


Throughout it all someone still found time to have a sense of humor...

The clean up process begins...

Family and Friends
Friends


Family and Friends

Please continue to pray for Baton Rouge and the 

surrounding Parishes!!!



Comments