Everyday Should be a Day of Awareness

Raising Awareness is the key and getting people to ask the right questions - only they can decide what they do from there. ~ James Gibbs

As we come to a close for National Stalking Awareness Month, realize the importance of awareness. The act of raising awareness should not stop when the month is over. Whether it is Cancer, Lupus, Domestic Violence or any other illness awareness month we should always use our voice to raise awareness.

The importance of raising awareness is to educate the world about the signs and symptoms, of a disease or act of violence. By doing so, it keeps it in the forefront of everyone’s mind. By providing information, people are more skilled at recognizing what they can do to help someone that may be in need.  

Of course, there are some people that choose not to be involved. While that is understandable and sometimes a wise decision, we must also think about if we were in their situation and needed help. No one is exempt from experiencing anything that life has to offer (Now, that’s another topic for another post.) When I’m hesitant in lending a hand I think about what if that was my daughter, my mother, my grandmother, or family member in need? How would that make me feel?
 
In some instances when it’s dealing with violence or stalking there is a reason to be hesitant. As we know from the news and dealing with my ordeal, people are crazy and you can’t possibly read someone’s mind and what their intentions are, so of course, there is a reason to be cautious.

On the other hand, there is always a way someone can step in and help. We as a society need to be more cognizant of people when their in distress. Sometimes it just takes a kind word, a hug, or letting someone know I’m here for you. It may take some time for that person to feel comfortable to open up. The key word here is to let them know when they are ready to open up that you are there.

I’m not sure about you, but to me that’s just as important. People want to know that you care and that you are there for them in their time of need. As we hear all the time, life is short. One day you are here and the next you are not. If you haven’t paid any attention to anything else I have said in this post, do know that the latter is very true. “One day you are here, and the next you are gone.”

Again, I would like to reiterate that raising awareness is a 365 day, 24/7 process. There is always something new to learn about any given subject. It just so happens that stalking is my subject. In order to be successful in educating our society about the signs and impact of stalking I have to stay in the forefront of people’s mind as well as continue to educate myself so that I can be prepared to help others.

Sharing my story this month with you in honor of Stalking Awareness Month has truly brought back some feelings that I thought I had dealt with. Rehashing some of the wounds really elevated my anxiety because I’m thinking “Look at God.” It is because of Him I’m still standing and haven’t lost my mind.

In the upcoming weeks I will hear if my stalker will be convicted of violating his restraining order that happened 2 ½ year ago. This has been a long time coming. I’ve prayed and prayed that God’s will be done in the matter. Whatever the verdict is, I know I’m a survivor and I win because I looked pass my fear and spoke up for myself and other victims. God called me to do an assignment and I will continue to share my story in hopes it save someone’s life.

Thank you all for taking this journey with me this month. The inbox messages on Facebook and the DM messages and re-tweets of my post on Twitter and Facebook have been really encouraging.

With the support from my family, friends and social media my efforts to raise awareness this month has been a success.

What are you doing to raise awareness to make a difference in society? 

Thanks for reading…
Leave a comment and share your thoughts!
Until next time,
Spread your wings and fly…

Be Encouraged,



Daria

Comments