Trusting God's Plan

Belief, Comfort, Faith, God, Comfort, Death, Legacy, Strength, Trust
Faith is trusting God even when you don’t understand his plan. Anonymous

We may not always understand why things happen the way they do. Wrapping our mind around life’s occurrences leaves us trying to figure out why certain things happen when they do. It leaves us questioning God and asking, why. Why Lord, why?  I use to find myself asking this question every time something tragic would happen in my life. I could never understand why God would allow such things to happen when and how they do. Why would he allow anyone to experience such pain?

Eventually I learned through prayer and having conversations with other prayerful and Godly people that God allows us to go through things and experience things to become closer to him. Sometimes, having such tragic events occur in our lives causes us to surrender and lean only on God. He’s our source of strength in times of trouble. He’s our provider, healer, and deliverer in times of distress.
As I have become older and find myself having a closer relationship with God, I find myself leaning on him more than ever in my life. He’s my comfort in time of turmoil. I find myself, only because I’m a work in progress, not questioning why as much anymore. Now, when things happen unexpectedly in my life I try and look at it in a positive light. I try a more rational approach just to hold it all together and to make sense of it all. I still fight with it but what gives me comfort is when I lean on God’s words that he will never leave us nor forsake us.  
Last Thursday, I lost a beloved cousin from Natchitoches, Louisiana. When I received the call from my mother, I was shocked. No words could explain what I was feeling. A wave of numbness came over my entire body. It felt as if I was experiencing an anxiety attack. Several different times, as I was trying to take in the news, I kept experiencing the numbness over my entire body. It was a feeling that was unexplainable. I wanted to make sense of it all but was having a hard time wrapping my head over what I had just heard. Sadness came over me when I started thinking about his parents, siblings and daughter. He had also just had a baby boy less than three months ago. A wave of emotions came over me, just thinking about all of that.
My daughter called me shortly thereafter crying. In trying to comfort her, all I could tell her was that God needed him more. She said mama I know but Todd mama, Todd. I said I know, I know. She is crazy about her Cane River family. I tried to explain to her that we had to look at it in a different light. He died doing what he loved. Farming was his life. His heritage and legacy. We have to trust God’s plan of why he called Todd home at such an early age. It gives me so much comfort, but does not alleviate the pain to know that I have grown in my faith to trust God’s plan. I don’t understand it but I trust it.
In strengthening my relationship with God and learning to trust Him I have develop the tools that allow me to think more rationally when unexpected things happen. While I am still in disbelief, shock, and still experience numbness over my entire body as I continue to think about what has occurred, I do find comfort in knowing he has joined his paternal grandparents and uncle in heaven. I know he’s in great company. Although, I believe it was too early for him to leave us, it gives me comfort to know we have gained another angel that will protect and watch over us.
If you are finding it hard to trust God’s plan when you experience difficulty in your life, I suggest you start off reading some scriptures about trust. Our God is so trustworthy! Here are a few of my favorite that I turn to:
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Prov. 3:5-6
*******
Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act. Psalm 37:5
*******
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. John 14:27
*******
In the day of my trouble I call upon you, for you answer me. Psalm 86:7
*******
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1
Losing someone is always hard especially when it’s unexpectedly. The first question is always, why? In times of discouragement and sorrow, look to the Bible to be encouraged and consoled by the God of all comfort. While we may never find out or understand why things happen in our lives, at least we can find comfort in God’s word.
Let’s Chat:
How are you learning to trust God’s plan?
What verses do you find comfort in when you are experiencing difficulty in your life?


Comments