7 Reasons "Closure Is Important For Your Life"


Closure, Relationships, Healing, Friendships, Personal Development, Amends, Apologize


“Nothing changes until people decide to do the things they must in order to bring about peace.” Shannon Adler

Is there something from your past that’s keeping you from moving forward?

Do you need to make amends with someone to bring closure for a more peaceful life? Or, is there someone wanting to make amends to you for closure and you have not given them the opportunity?

I received an email the other day from an old boyfriend needing closure to his past.  He wanted to make amends for all the wrongdoings that were done in our relationship. I figured I was cordial when we saw each other and we spoke, may be a laugh or so, so what was the big deal, right? I guess you can see closure, is not that big of a deal to me.

At first, I was like whatever, it is what it is. Just let it go. In my opinion, we had both moved on with our lives and the past was the past. No need to rehash what has already been done. It was my thought that the chapter was closed, burnt, and had been sprinkled in the sea. There were no hard feelings. It was just like the old saying “People come into your life for a Reason, a Season or a Lifetime.” He was a season that has now passed.

However, through the emails I could see that this was something that had been weighing on his mind and he wanted to finally make amends for what had been done. Since I’ve embarked on a new journey in my life and I have a new perspective my outlook has changed. My once selfish thoughts are no longer there. You have to understand, once you become secure in whom you are as a person, there’s no need to hold on to selfish thoughts that hinder you from having peace and moving forward.

It was apparent that it took courage and growth for him to finally email me after all of these years and want to make amends. In my blog, I discuss personal development so I wouldn’t be authentic if I denied someone the opportunity to bring closure to their life.

According to the writer over at Naked With Socks On, an award winning site launched in 2008, men need closure too. Here’s what he had to say: Over the years, I’ve had my share of relationships – platonic, romantic, business, family, etc – but what I’ve begun to realize is the value of closure. When I was younger, I thought only women needed closure. Any time I heard a chick say she needed ‘closure,’ I had no idea what she meant. We’re no longer dealing with each other, so you go your way and I’ll go mine.”

 Let me share with you 7 reasons it’s important to have closure in life:

1.       Closure is good for healing.
2.       Closure allows you to Let Go and Let God.
3.       Closure closes a chapter in a person’s life to truly move on.
4.       Closure gives you the ability to be baggage free from the past.
5.       Closure allows someone to make amends for past wrongdoings.
6.       Closure from the past, builds better relationships for the future both personal and professional.
7.       Closure can answer who, what, and why of something occurred. Perfect opportunity if you have been wondering why. 

 “Closure is extremely important after a long relationship,” Krupa Shah, an early childhood education student at Long Island University, says. “If you don’t find peace within yourself and the relationship, it can hinder your growth both personally and as a person. While closure can be hard to find, whether it’s two months or two years, it’s an ongoing process of finding ways to be OK by yourself, and trust that eventually all aspects of your life will fall into place.”

For some, not having the ability to have closure can leave a negative effect.  It can cause a person to have trouble with moving on. The important factor that needs to be considered is that not everyone is in the same place spiritually that you are in. So, there’s a chance you will not find or receive closure in that manner. If that is the case, there are numerous websites that can assist you with techniques to help you find closure on your own. In my opinion, if finding closure is important to you, I suggest you take the necessary steps to bring healing to your life. Don’t let closure continue to hinder you from moving forward with your life.

Here are some websites to assist you:



I think it’s ironic after all of these years after I had closed a chapter in my life that someone would need closure. However, I think its human nature to desire to right past wrongs. I hope the fact that I have forgiven him gives him the closure he finally needs to move on with his life.

Lastly, by finding closer in your life, you will see that a burden has been lifted from your shoulders that you may have not been aware of.

What are your thoughts on closure?

Is there anyone out there that you can make amends to? Would you give someone the opportunity to make amends to you?

Thanks for reading…
Leave a comment and share your thoughts!
Until next time,
Spread your wings and fly…

Be Encouraged,
Daria

Comments